Our SkyMap trial application is fully functional (it's just a few steps behind the full SkyMap application: it is ad based and has few small limitations). But we understand there are windows phone users out there not willing to install a trial version - despite the fact there is no price or risk involved.
So, as a solstice summer gift to the world, we've decided to release 2 FREE applications:
SkyMap Free - similar to SkyMap trial version (except the picture of the day feature)
AstroPix - astronomy picture of the day based on apod.nasa.gov website
Here are the application detailed description:
SkyMapFree provides interactive sky maps for any time, viewpoint and location on Earth. It shows the different names, coordinates, magnitude, astronomical rise and set times plus additional information for over 110000 stars, messier objects, planets, sun and the moon.
SkyMapFree has a full set of features in order to help both casual stargazers and amateur astronomers to explore and locate the objects in the sky:
- interactive zoom
- night mode
- gesture support
- constellations, stars, deep space objects, planets, sun and moon information
- autocomplete search function
- fast loading and initialization
- support for portrait and landscape orientations
- map rotation mode
- point to sky mode (beta)
- flashlight, map orientation lock and other improvements
- help page
- improved sky map graphics: planet images, star colors, diffraction spikes, etc
- sky object information (wikipedia integration)
- new quick settings bar (star density selection, flip map)
- alt/az grid
- additional customizations (show/hide map layers: planets, stars, messier objects, etc)
Imagine a beautiful clear summer sky. Look up and discover the beauty of our universe… Have you ever looked through a telescope? Do you enjoy the breathtaking pictures taken from terrestrial or outer space telescopes? Look no further and install AstroPix!
Based on the NASA APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day) website, Astropix is a friendly daily astronomy picture viewer. APOD features each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
The free AstroPix application offers a full set of features, delivering a great integration between the APOD website and the rich and compelling UI of the Windows Phone platform.
- Lists the recent pictures published on the APOD website
- Image viewer in both landscape and portrait modes
- Last viewed picture displayed as application background (using panorama control)
- History of viewed images with large thumbnails and description
- Search by name, description or date
- Select a specific date, random date, today, etc
- Image/photograph full explanation and information
- Full screen display
- Image zoom (to small or large dimensions) by pich or double click